Celebrations cancelled by Marian Casillas, Ed.D.

 


ABC123: My grandmother tells me about the past when there were special days that people would celebrate throughout the year.

XYZ789: I have no one to tell me about the way things were before.

ABC123: She told me that there were “months” with beautiful names. She recited a poem: “Thirty days has September, April, June and November; all the rest have thirty-one, Except for February which has twenty-eight, except in a leap year when it has twenty-nine!”

XYZ789: September, April, June, November and February. Those are beautiful names.

ABC123: I like the name April.

XYZ789: I like the name November, it rhymes with remember.

ABC123: Let’s have those as our secret names. When we’re together we’ll call each other by those names.

XYZ789: Okay April, I like that idea.

April: Well November, I’m glad you like that idea.

November: Why did things change?

April: My grandmother said that there was something called COVID-19, and the Great Reset that did away with a lot of things.

November: Like what?

April: Well, people had names like April and November instead of just letters and numbers like we have today.

November: I like being called a name.

April: Me too. There were “holidays” she called “Thanksgiving”, when people would get together to thank God and eat special food, and the “Fourth of July” when people would have parades and wave the flag of the country. She said there were “holy days” like “Christmas”, when people would celebrate the Birth of Jesus Christ and decorate with Nativity Scenes, and “Easter”, when people would celebrate the Resurrection of Jesus Christ and attend Sunday sunrise services.

November: What happened to “holidays and holy days”?

April: She said the Government did away with them because there was a pandemic that caused a virus to spread when people gathered together.

November: Too bad, because I would have liked to have been able to celebrate “holidays and holy days”. They sound like a lot of fun.


Remember, Celebrate Holidays and Holy Days while we still have them!



Marian Casillas, Ed.D.
Del Rio, Texas

“Articles for Heart Mind Soul” is a forum for Original Articles providing Catholic and Conservative Commentary by Contributing Writers: Informing Hearts – Instructing Minds – Inspiring Souls.

Subscribe to “Articles for Heart Mind Soul” here.