Behold the Truth! by Cami little handmaid

 






Behold the Truth!

by Cami little handmaid

 

 

On Saturday, the day before Christmas Eve, when I first woke up, before I even sat up, the word TRUTH came to my mind repeatedly. I knew it was a call from the Holy Spirit to listen to what He wants to say about Truth. I let that word sit in my mind as I made my tea, and sipping it, I opened up my email to see what messages I had received. I opened Spiritual Direction’s email publication and was drawn to read the first article, “Behold the Lamb of God” by Fr. James Brent, O.P. It is a beautifully written article about the Real Presence of the Lamb of God in the elevated Sacred Host at Holy Mass and in the monstrance at Adoration.

 

His article begins with his description of the mystical vision that 20 or more persons beheld on a wall of St. John the Baptist Church in Knock, Ireland on August 21, 1879. They witnessed figures of light: St. Joseph, Our Lady,

St. John the Evangelist, and the focal point was a bright, white Lamb standing erect on a raised altar. Above the Lamb was a luminous cross. The altar, the Lamb, and the cross were surrounded by luminous angels.

 

Fr. Brent made a pilgrimage to Knock, Ireland, and in the apparition chapel there he gazed upon the stone figures depicting the mystical vision, and lastly he gazed upon the Sacred Host in the monstrance on the altar below the stone figures. He knew through the eyes of faith that he was contemplating the living Lamb of God.

 

I share with you some direct quotes from his article:

 

“In that moment, in the light of grace, I realized what a great thing it is for anyone to behold the Lamb of God even once during the elevation at Mass. It is a far greater thing than the most extraordinary of mystical visions.”

 

“Even repeated celebrations of the Mass, even many glances upon the elevated host, together with the command to behold the Lamb of God, are not enough to internalize the truth the moment contains.”

 

“In order to capture the sublime wisdom set before us in the words and gestures of the elevation, in order to linger in the light of the immense truth that the moment contains, the practice of Eucharistic Adoration has developed over the centuries.”

 

This contemplative article by Fr. Brent has become a means of lectio divina for me, in which I have meditated on the truths that the Lord has communicated to me about the essential spiritual gift of Adoration.

 

 

A few years ago the Holy Spirit said to me, with His silent voice:

“Adoration will restore the Church.”

 

What an awesome promise! The Holy Spirit did not say, “Adoration may restore the Church.”  He said,

                   “Adoration will restore the Church!”

 

At the time I received that message, I thought of the Church as primarily the hierarchy: the Pope, the cardinals, the bishops, the priests, and the deacons.

 

Recently the Lord has focused my spiritual attention on 1 Peter 2:4-5:

 

“come to Him, to the living stone, rejected by men but in God’s sight chosen and precious, and like living stones be yourselves built

Into a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood,

To offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ, for it stands in Scripture:

‘Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a cornerstone,

 chosen and precious, and he who believes in Him

 will not be put to shame.”

 

How can we be “living stones”? Stones are not living.

 

“A new heart I will give you and a new spirit I will put within you, and I will take out of your flesh the heart of stone,

and give you a heart of flesh.” (Ezekiel 36:26)

 

It is through adoration of the Lamb of God that we will be filled with His Life, His humility, his holiness... It is through union with the Cornerstone that we become “living stones…built into the spiritual house” of His Church, helping to restore it.

 

“My adorable Jesus…May our glances profoundly penetrate

each other…” (from the Unity Prayer of the Flame of Love)

 

Our hearts united to the Sacred Heart of Jesus become “hearts of flesh.”

 

Cami little handmaid

Written Christmas Day, December 25, 2023