A Riverville Christmas Trilogy: Part 3 – Maquiladora Christmas Party by Marian Casillas, Ed.D.

 


















A Riverville Christmas Trilogy: Part 3 – Maquiladora Christmas Party by Marian Casillas, Ed.D.

 

Feliciana Navidad’s cell phone plays “Feliz Navidad” by Jose Feliciano.

She doesn’t recognize the number and she usually will let the call go to voice mail, but she answers it.

She hears, “This is Kris St. Nicholas, we met at Plazita Park. I hope you remember me.”

Feliciana thinks to herself: Of course I remember you. You made quite an impression and I haven’t stopped thinking about you.

But all she can muster to say is, “Yes.”

Then he apologetically continues, “I hope you don’t mind that I took the liberty to inquire about you. If I am bothering you, please let me know and I will hang up and not bother you any further.”

“No, it’s no bother.”

“Remember I told you about our company Christmas party?”

“Yes.”

“Well I was hoping you wouldn’t mind going with me.”

“Sure, I’d love too,” she wondered was saying “love” too strong a word, too soon.

“The company Christmas party is of course going to be at Plazita Park. It’s this Saturday at 12 noon. I’ll pick you up at 11:30.”

All she can think of is. What will she wear?

“Yes.”

“Great! I’ll see you then.”

The day of the company Christmas party arrives and Kris St. Nicholas is ringing her doorbell that plays “Jingle Bells”.

He smiles.

Feliciana opens the door and is greeted by Kris wearing a red leisure suit, satin white T-shirt, shiny black boots and a red cowboy hat.

She is wearing a green pantsuit and a green baseball cap with her white hair tucked inside. The outfit is adorned with silver jewelry and silver sandals.

Kris cavalierly opens the passenger door to his red Cadillac convertible and offers his hand as she bends down to get in.

She feels like an adolescent girl out on a date with the most handsome boy in school. He feels like a young dude with the most beautiful gal by his side.

Kris introduces her to his employees: Mr. Alabaster Snowball, Mr. Bushy Evergreen, Mr. Pepper Minstix, Mr. Shinny Upatree, Mrs. Sugarplum Mary, and Mr. Wunorse Openslae.

“What does your maquiladora make?”

“Toys!”

 

 

Marian Casillas, Ed.D.