A Riverville Christmas Trilogy: Part 2 – Mr. St. Nicholas and Mrs. Navidad by Marian Casillas, Ed.D.

 

















A Riverville Christmas Trilogy: Part 2 – Mr. St. Nicholas and Mrs. Navidad by Marian Casillas, Ed.D.

 

“Mr. St. Nicholas, what may I ask are you doing at Plazita Park,’ curiously inquires Feliciana Navidad.

“My business-partner and I, Mr. Elfino Bernard are scouting areas to have our company Christmas party. We own a maquiladora and we wanted to treat our employees. They have been working hard and deserve to enjoy some recreational time away from work. Builds team spirit, you know.”

“Plazita Park is a place where you and your employees can have a nice time,” states Feliciana as she starts to get up from her lounge chair. Gentlemanly-like Kris offers his hand to assist her.

She doesn’t require his assistance, but she doesn’t want to appear rude toward his generous gesture, so she takes his muscular arm that lifts her up in one fell swoop.

Kris notices that she is elegantly attired in green capris pants and a green colored Mexican top delicately embroidered with red stitchery. She is wearing matching gold earrings, necklace and a bracelet. And her gold sandals complete the ensemble.

He thinks to himself: She looks like a Christmas tree. I wonder if she dresses like that because of her name.

“I like it!”

“Like what?” she asks.

“I really like your outfit.”

“I know I sometimes go overboard with the Navidad/Christmas theme, but you should see my home!”

“I’d love to see your home.”

Oh no, Feliciana thinks to herself, did I just invite him to my home?

She spots her daughter and swiftly changes the subject. “Here comes my daughter, it was nice meeting you,” she makes a quick getaway.

“Who is that?” curiously asks her daughter.

“He brought over a ball the twins threw in the river,” and she rapidly continues, “They behaved real well, they knew they couldn’t retrieve the ball from the water so they just let the ball float away, but this nice gentleman brought it over.”

“Doesn’t he remind you of . . .” Before she can finish her thought, the twins surround them with pleas of wanting to eat pizza.

 

Marian Casillas, Ed.D.