June 27, 2017: Del Rio News-Herald * OPINION * Letter to the Editor * Acting awards aren't awesome





Letter to the Editor,

Acting awards aren’t awesome

Hello my name is Vista Doolittle and while reviewing the TV Guide, in hopes of locating something worthwhile to watch, which is extremely rare these days, I noticed that the 2017 MTV Movie and TV Awards show was being broadcast on six channels, maybe on more, but I only have the 70 basic cable channels. 

I can’t imagine having to pay for all those premium channels, which would only be paying more, for more of the same. 

The 2017 MTV Movie and TV Awards show was showing live on VH-1, MTV, BET, Spike, TV land and Comedy Central, talk about overkill.

And it got me wondering, why are there even acting awards? 

It’s adults playing a child’s game of dress-up and pretend, which we all played when we were young, and no one gave us awards for our frolicking-antics, and we certainly didn’t get paid exorbitant salaries for our extraordinary performances.

The movie and TV industry is a self-absorbed industry that overly glorifies itself and thinks itself to be more important than it really is in the scheme of things in life. 

These are outrageously rich and over-the-top famous people who spend their lives pretending to be other people and we are supposed to believe them when they portend to speak on serious topics. 

And those who don’t receive awards, shouldn’t there be participant awards, just for showing up for work because isn’t that elitist and discriminatory to only honor the best and forget about the rest.

Another self-absorbed industry is politics, like when the President gives the State of the Union Address; it is broadcast on all the major television networks and also on all the cable news channels. 

I only watch political events on C-SPAN because I am spared from the barrage of commercials and from the endless prattle of broadcasters spewing forth their endless running commentary. 

I definitely do not appreciate someone telling me how to interpret what I just finished listening to. 

I can make up my own mind, thank you very much.

Marian Casillas, Ed.D.
Del Rio