March 24, 2017: Del Rio News-Herald * OPINION * Letter to the Editor * Amistoso and friendly




















Letter to the Editor,

Amistoso and Friendly

Lake Amistad Dam International Crossing is a dam that serves as an international bridge which crosses the Rio Grande/Rio Bravo.

The dam connects the United States-Mexico border cities of Del Rio, Texas and Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila and is jointly owned by the United States Government and the Mexican Government.

The international boundary crosses the center of the dam where Amistoso El Águila and Friendly The Eagle have majestically stood side by side atop Amistad Dam/Presa la Amistad for 48 peaceful and pleasant years.

But now things are different, things have changed.

Friendly: I’m sorry my government will be building a wall across the center of the dam.

Amistoso: You mean a wall will be built across a bridge.

Friendly: Yes, that’s what I understand; after all these years we will be physically divided, you on one side of the wall and me on the other side of the wall.

Amistoso: But why?

Friendly: My President thinks we need it and so do some people.

Amistoso: But we’ve been friends forever, standing here together, overlooking our respective country’s beautiful land and our lovely people.

Friendly: I guess some people don’t see it that way. You and I have seen both good and bad people come across from both countries.

Amistoso: Mostly good people.

Friendly: Unfortunately, it is those few bad people that have caused this problem.

Amistoso: But we’ll still be friends, right?

Friendly: Of course, we are our country’s great and powerful symbols that have endured the test of time and we will prevail as friends even though we will no longer stand side by side, but in our heart and soul we will always carry the great love and respect our people have for each other.

Amistoso: I see the construction crew, or rather de-construction crew coming. I guess this is the end of an era.

Friendly: Change is always hard.

Amistoso: I’ll miss you. Adios amigo!

Friendly: I’ll miss you, too. Good-bye my friend!

As they bid farewell, a single solitary tear rolls down their faces.

Marian Casillas, Ed.D.

Del Rio