February 15, 2015: Del Rio News-Herald * Letter to the Editor * Comics page challenge








































Letter to the Editor,

Comics page challenge

Sr. Blanco and Mr. Brown are next door neighbors.

Sr. Blanco: What’s the matter with you?  You look horrible.

Mr. Brown:  I must be going through “missing reading comics withdrawal”. I feel anxious and jumpy. I’m shaking and trembling. I’m sweating profusely. I didn’t get a good night’s sleep. I feel depressed. I’ve been irritable and tired all day. I’ve lost my appetite and I’ve had this headache that I can’t get rid of no matter how many aspirins I take. I so look forward to the Tuesday edition of the Del Rio News-Herald (DRNH) because of the double header comics for Monday and Tuesday together in one newspaper. And this past Tuesday there were no comics.

Sr. Blanco: You’ve got to get a grip on yourself. Don’t you realize that you’re a mess? You’re addicted to reading comics daily.

Mr. Brown: I miss my Saturday comic strips page but then I make up for it on Sunday with the color comics pull-out section, and then I miss my Monday comics but I make up for it by having both the Monday and Tuesday comics together. They said there was some internal error on the website that provides the comic strips; I hope the internal error is satisfactorily resolved. The DRNH apologized to all their readers for any inconvenience; but I beg them to please don’t ever put me through this again, because I desperately need my daily dose of comics in order to survive.  I can’t live without my comics.

Sr. Blanco: Look at you man, you’re a comic strip junkie. But you can beat this, Lent is coming up, it starts on Ash Wednesday, February 18 and I’ve read that there’s some psychological study that states that if you can do something for 30 days then it becomes a habit and Lent is 40 days.

Mr. Brown: So you want me to give up reading the comics page of the DRNH for 40 days.

Sr. Blanco: And in that same study they said that if you replace a positive habit for the negative habit that you are trying to change that it will be a lot easier than just going cold turkey.

Mr. Brown: Thanks man, I don’t want to be a comic strip junkie. I know that I can replace not reading the daily comics page of the DRNH with something else for the 40 days of Lent.

Sr. Blanco: God bless you, man. Stay strong.

Marian Casillas, Ed.D.