Letter to the Editor,
Twelve Habits of Happy Humans
1) Wiggle your fingers and your toes 8 times. Wiggling your fingers and toes will make you feel silly and happy.
2) Wear a pedometer and walk for 8 miles. Find ways to extend your walking; for example, find a parking space further away from your destination or instead of using the drive-thru, park your car, get off and walk inside to place your order. Walking will make you feel energized and happy.
3) Drink 8 cups of water. Drinking water will make you feel hydrated and happy.
4) Sleep 8 hours. Sleeping will make you feel rested and happy.
5) Set aside 8 minutes for silent meditation. Select an edifying and encouraging positive affirmation, for example, a short scriptural verse like, “Be still and know God.” Meditating will make you feel calm and happy.
6) Write down 8 things you are thankful for in your life. Being thankful will make you feel grateful and happy.
7) Smile 8 times. Smiling will make you feel joyful and happy.
8) Read 8 verses of Scripture. Reading the Bible will make you feel blessed and happy.
9) Speak out loud about 8 affirmative, positive and uplifting things. Speaking about optimistic things will make you feel hopeful and happy.
10) Say “Hello” to 8 people. Greeting people will make you feel outgoing and happy.
11) Arrive 8 minutes before your scheduled appointment. Being early will make you feel relaxed and happy.
12) Pray The Serenity Prayer 8 times. “God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.” Praying will make you feel peaceful and happy.
Book recommendation: “The Way of Serenity: Finding Peace and Happiness In the Serenity Prayer” by Father Jonathan Morris.
Why perform these habits 8 times a day? Because the number 8 in the Bible represents a new beginning and each day is a new beginning for the rest of your life.
Choose one habit and faithfully resolve to commit to incorporate it into your daily life for just one month, and then by the end of the year you will have internalized all 12 habits of a healthy, holy and happy human.
Blissfully Best Wishes and Bountifully God’s Blessings throughout 2015!
Marian Casillas, Ed.D.