Very Rev. Lawrence J. Christian
Vicar General and Interfaith Liaison
Archdiocese of San Antonio
Humanitarian Aid for Migrant Minors
I was hungry and you fed me, naked and you clothed me... (Mt.25)
July 22, 2014
Parishes wishing to participate in offering humanitarian aid for the many thousands of young people and many young mothers who have been approaching the U.S. border may be helpful at this time. The greatest needs are at the points of entry along the border. Many young people arrive quite literally with only the clothes on their backs and nothing else! We want to stress that this action is strictly a humanitarian response to an immediate need.
Parishioners can be invited to offer goods or money for Catholic Charities on the weekend of August 2nd and 3rd.
The following items can be accepted:
• Children’s clothing new or gently used, ages toddler through 17.
• Underwear must be new and in original, unopened packaging.
• Children’s sized shoes can also be accepted.
• For babies, the needed items are disposable diapers and canned baby food. No fresh or powdered baby foods can be accepted.
• Other canned foods can be accepted.
• Spanish language Bibles and New Testaments can be accepted.
• Toiletries in small or medium sizes can be accepted, specifically shampoo, toothpaste, and soaps.
Cash donations to Catholic Charities can be accepted. Checks or money orders should designate that the funds are for migrant minors’ relief.
Items should be delivered to Catholic Charities at 202 W. French Place on Monday, August 4th.
Items should be pre-sorted so that they can be dispersed quickly.
Catholic Charities of San Antonio, in cooperation with Catholic agencies in Laredo and Brownsville will transport the items to the areas where they are most needed as quickly as possible.
Please remember that our Catholic agencies such as St. PJ’s, Seton Home, and Guadalupe Home also assist local children in need on an on-going basis.
For more information, please call 210-222-1294.
This announcement is made with the approval of Rev. Larry Christian, Vicar General of the Archdiocese of San Antonio.
2718 W. Woodlawn Avenue
San Antonio, TX 78228-0410
FAX (210) 734-1971