Gingriches' film on Pope John Paul II made as an 'act of devotion'

By Denis Grasska
Catholic News Service

SAN DIEGO (CNS) -- In early June, Newt Gingrich and his wife, Callista, were in Warsaw, Poland, and then Rome for the debut of their new documentary, "Nine Days That Changed the World." It chronicles Pope John Paul II's nine-day pilgrimage to Poland in 1979 and examines the event's significant role in the fall of Soviet communism.

The couple made the documentary "almost as an act of devotion," Gingrich said.

Newt and Callista Gingrich were married in 2000. A lifelong Catholic, Callista sings in the professional choir at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington. Newt Gingrich entered the Catholic Church in late March 2009.

"I had been originally raised as a Lutheran and had become a Baptist," he said, "but then over the last nine years, I had found myself more and more attracted to the church.

"And I don't think I made a decision to convert," he continued. "I think I became a Catholic and then realized it one day."

That momentous day arrived during Pope Benedict XVI's visit to the United States, April 15-20, 2008.

There was something about that week and seeing him," Gingrich said, "and I just decided ... that this was where I belong, this (was) the right thing for me."



For more information on "Nine Days That Changed the World"
 or to order a copy of the DVD, visit http://www.ninedaysthatchangedtheworld.com/