Faith and Morals…and Basketball?

Bishop Cantu’s Weblog


Archbishop Gomez has repeatedly mentioned that he’s been praying for my conversion. Since the moment I made that first drive westward on highway 10 two years ago from Houston, he’s been praying for me. Knowing me to be a die-hard NBA fan, he was concerned that I would not set aside my Rockets banner to join the San Antonio chorus, “Go, Spurs, Go!”

Admittedly a Houston Rockets fan when I arrived in the Fiesta City, I pledged to pull for the San Antonio favorites. However, I found that although I painted my face silver and black, I would still bleed red. Conversion often takes time. It takes a persevering desire and a sustained effort.

So what about the Spurs’ chances this post-season? They may have avoided the tough-as-nails Jazz, but the Mavericks are no slouches. The Mavs have revamped their roster with the skill and size of Caron Bulter and Brendan Haywood, not to mention the athleticism of Shawn Marion. The opening series will be no walk in the park, to be sure. That said, I’ll take the Spurs in seven.

Finals? I think this may be the Cavs’ year. I’ll take them over the Lakers in six.

Speaking of that team from the West Coast, I am praying for Archbishop Gomez, that he will not convert. I’m sure he will love the people of Los Angeles, but he just can’t bring himself to root for the Purple and Gold! Can’t! Stay strong, Archbishop! Stay Silver and Black!


+OC